Tuesday, December 30, 2008

feldenkrais and fitness


Recently, I had the pleasure to teach one of my favorite subjects, Feldenkrais and Fitness.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the students reported that they wanted to know more about Feldenkrais for professional reasons. This marks progress since I am used to being approached from my colleagues on this subject with much scepticism. Don't misunderstand, I fully appreciate skepticism. But, from my own experience, it held me back on my own learning. In the past, I had studied movement, anatomy, pathology and treatment with the need to weed out quackery. This method was an entirely new idea that supported a non linear/experiential form of teaching.I discovered the limitations of my former learning when I was in a class for PTs studying Feldenkrais. I was analyzing how the colleague that I was practicing with had range of motion limitations. When the instructor came over to me and showed me my limitations, my colleagues limitations had improved. It then hit me, my hands on skills were in question.I was hooked, so you would think. It took me a couple of years to still reason with myself to sign up for the 4 year program.

The students in this class that I taught ranged from PT's, Pilates instructors and personal trainers. I fully appreciated how the students were patiently ready to follow a discovery process that led them to easier movement and softer postures. All with more comfort and less pain by report. Additionally, I was able to read the following blog the next day from one of the participants:
"The workshop consisted largely of the instructor leading the ten participants through a series of nearly-imperceptible movements, usually done lying on the floor in a darkened room. I'd done a few hours of Feldenkrais work in graduate school and so knew a little about its wonders, but I sensed the skepticism among some of the other students: What could THIS be doing?
It didn't last long, because almost instantly, most of us felt different. Taller, longer, more aligned, more easy in our movements. As a guy with some theatre background, I noticed that the voices in the room sounded richer, more resonant.
And, as cheesy as it sounds, people looked happier.
I was, once again, blown away, and totally sold on its benefits."

to read more, please refer to: http://www.malepatternfitness.com/2008/12/8/686691/sold-on-the-feldenkrais-me

I look forward to more opportunities in teaching the Feldenkrais Method and look forward to learning from both sides of the aisle.

No comments: